Public speaking mistakes to avoid
18 Public Speaking Mistakes to put your audience into a state of coma
Be kind to your audience
1) Not preparing for the speech
As a speaker, you should always respect your audiences time. Don’t be overconfident and please do yourself a favour and thank me later. Don’t go on stage underprepared.
2) Ending speech or presentation with Q N A
After the Q and A, tell a story that ties in with your main theme, summarize with key points , Conclude with a quote or call to action.
3) Not aware of the type of audience
Before you step on stage, study the audience. You cant go to a stand-up event and give a talk on astrophysics. The audience won’t like you for ruining their evening.
4) Speech is not audience-centric
Always make sure your audience should gain something from your speech. There are some speakers who boast about their achievements without leaving a message to the audience. Don’t be that speaker. Speech is always about what your audience gain.
5) No eye contact
I understand public speaking can be overwhelming. And the fear is real. Remember you are giving a speech to your audience and not to the floating spirits, which you can see only when you are on stage.
Tip: If you are nervous looking into someone’s eyes while speaking on stage, shift your focus on their forehead. It’s a win-win situation.
6) Low energy
Your energy radiates through the venue in which you are giving a speech. So always make sure you are high on energy and not to sail your audience into dreamland.
7) Distractions like a phone ringing
Avoid distractions in your speech like cell phones.
8) Not rehearsing
Practise your speech before delivering. It will help you to find flaws and work on body language.
9) Reading from slides
10) Make excuse or apology
11) Overshooting time or going on for too long
12) Not being loud enough or audible.
13) Using filler words – Um- ing and Ah – ing
14) Stiff body language
Don’t be a zombie on stage. Keep your body relaxed.
15) Hiding behind lectern
You are speaking to humans, so don’t be scared of them.
16) Hold the mike as if you are strangling it
If you don’t like someone in your audience strangle them but don’t strangle the mike.
17) Reading not delivering your speech or memorising a script
Please don’t recite your speech like a kindergarten poem.
18) Lack of authenticity
Attempting to imitate other speakers. Authenticity is lost when you aren’t yourself.
Step by Step guide to public speaking
- Speech writing format : Guide to craft a speech
- Why you should captivate audience in first 7 seconds
- Powerful techniques to open your speech or presentation
- Things to avoid while starting a speech
- Monroe’s Motivated Sequence: Ultimate technique for crafting a motivational speech
- Sound writing : Secret technique to take your speech from good to great
- How storytelling can change your life
- Storytelling secrets : The 4th S of storytelling
- Storytelling secrets : Angel’s Cocktail and Devil’s Cocktail
- What is public speaking? Can anyone be public speaker
- 40 powerful leadership quotes to rekindle leader in you
- Sins of public speaking. Public speaking mistakes to avoid
If you feel, our content adds value to your time, do subscribe to our newsletter and share with your friends