Before you speak a word, your audience has already formed an opinion about you. I know it sounds very judgemental but it all happens in our subconscious mind and it’s very difficult to have control over it. Here you will discover body language secrets to grab the audience attention.
Your body communicates as well as your mouth. Don’t contradict yourselfAllen Rudock
How many times have you experienced this, after listening to a speaker your mind says “Whatever he spoke was good but I don’t know something isn’t right here.”
Having positive body language is one of the key factors in presentations or in your speech.
How you feel from within can make a massive difference in your body language.
Watch this video below for a better understanding
Here are the few basic tips or hacks which you can use to portray confidence and leave a positive impact on others.
Tips to enhance body language
Dress well. I know this may sound very basic but sometimes it’s important to stick to basics. We will have to use all the possible tools to enhance our confidence. There are a few dresses which make you confident, comfortable and enthusiastic. Dressing well does 2 specific things
It increases your self-confidence or self-esteem
It shows you respect your audience and you are prepared
2) Eye contact
I know having eye contact can be scary sometimes. When we first walk to the stage and when you look at the audience it’s like 2 worlds are colliding with each other, it builds up nervousness and in turn, build up adrenalin rush. But having eye contact with the audience is like having a mystical spell around the audience. If you break it, you will lose the audience.
Here are tips for having a good eye contact
- If you get nervous or overwhelmed when you look into someone’s eyes just look at their forehead. Audience point of view they feel you are looking at them. I used to use this trick when I was new to public speaking. Back then the moment I look into someone’s eyes I would forget the script, then one of my mentors told me this hack. NOTE: This trick doesn’t work on dates
- Follow a “Z” or “N” pattern for a huge audience. This is one of the secrets of body language.
Once in a while in your presentation glance through the audience in this pattern, it creates an illusion to the audience you are looking at them
3) Open body language
What is open body language?
Dananjaya Hettiarachchi is like my guru. He is one of the reasons I started public speaking. You should watch his world championship speech
4) Facial Expression:
Your expressions should change along with the script or what you say.
For example: If you are speaking about something sad make sure it’s reflected in your body language and voice. When you are excited about something make sure you show that enthusiasm through your body
5) Prompting gestures:
Prompting gestures are something like Raise your hands, Look towards the person next to you etc etc
This technique is useful to bring your audience back to life or keep them engaged.
Example: Raise your hands “If you remember your childhood days”
A hologram is an advanced technique that also includes stagecraft. I will write in detail about it in the following week. Basically, the hologram is diving the stage into 3 parts. Suppose if you have 3 points deliver each point in different segments of the stage
Hope this article about body language secrets has added value to your time. If you have any queries or you want to add something please do leave a comment or get in touch with me.
Step by Step guide to public speaking, storytelling secrets and leadership secrets
- Speech writing format : Guide to craft a speech
- Practical tips to overcome stage fright or Public speaking anxiety
- Why you should captivate audience in first 7 seconds
- Powerful techniques to open your speech or presentation
- Things to avoid while starting a speech
- Monroe’s Motivated Sequence: Ultimate technique for crafting a motivational speech
- Sound writing : Secret technique to take your speech from good to great
- Secret language which leaders use: Unlock a leader in you
- How storytelling can change your life
- Storytelling elements: Guide to ace storytelling
- Storytelling secrets : The 4th S of storytelling
- Storytelling secrets : Angel’s Cocktail and Devil’s Cocktail
- What is public speaking? Can anyone be public speaker
- Sins of public speaking. Public speaking mistakes to avoid
- Public speaking secrets: Body Language secrets
- Ultimate revelation about how to select unique speech topic or message
- 40 powerful leadership quotes to rekindle leader in you
- Unique and rare motivational speaker Tony Robbins quotes to impact you
- 33 powerful quotes for storytelling (of 1000) to spellbound anyone
If you feel, our content adds value to your time, do subscribe to our newsletter and share it with your friends.
Note: This blog is not a bible for public speaking. These steps or techniques are most widely used by creative speakers. If you have your own process which you follow, do share it with us in our comment section. If you have any queries or thoughts to share, do leave a comment below.